Topic: Gordon Zirkle

After the war, Gordon Zirkle (my uncle) became a Lutheran Minister and has lived in Virginia all of his life.  He is now in a nursing home in southern Virginia and, sadly, is not doing well.   He has proudly displayed a large, framed, photo of the USS Starr in his room throughout his stay in the nursing home.  Are there any other survivors out there? 
Betty

Re: Gordon Zirkle

bcadmus wrote:

After the war, Gordon Zirkle (my uncle) became a Lutheran Minister and has lived in Virginia all of his life.  He is now in a nursing home in southern Virginia and, sadly, is not doing well.   He has proudly displayed a large, framed, photo of the USS Starr in his room throughout his stay in the nursing home.  Are there any other survivors out there? 
Betty

Welcome, Betty!  I'll be sure to ask my dad if he remembers your uncle.  My dad is also in a nursing home (in northern Michigan), but he still has vivid memories about the Starr.  Until about a year ago, we had a regular newsletter going out, which my mom and I co-edited; you can find past issues of it on this board in digital form (http://www.ussstarr.org/punbb/viewforum.php?id=6).  There are still many crew members around, but the numbers are dwindling year by year...

Thomas